When it comes time to pick a pair of sunglasses, often one of the factors taken into account is the color of the lenses. The most common colors are the classics — gray, green or brown — but you can find a vast array of colors in a well-stocked eyewear shop: vintage hues, gradient colors, two-tone, and more.
Color is also very important in ensuring you get clear, accurate vision from your glasses. This is why there are certain guidelines to be followed for sports lenses to ensure that you get the visual performance you need in your athletic pursuits.
Generally speaking, these rules apply to us all. Picking the right lens color for the given lighting conditions eliminates glare and helps keep your eyes relaxed throughout the day.
But let’s see how each color contributes to the glasses we wear:
- BROWN: a classic hue used with a wide range of frame types, brown provides clear vision and relaxes the eyes. Because they ensure excellent definition, brown lenses are often used for sports that require accurate vision, such as shooting, hunting, and boating. They are also perfect for all outdoor activities when the sun is shining. DIVEL’s brown lenses are available in the SOLID versions of our TENDENZE collection and range from light brown to dark brown; in the POLARIZED lenses of the TENDENZE collection, both solid and gradient versions; and in the QUICK COLOR stock lenses with 1.50 index and NoUV 400 protection.
- ORANGE: orange is frequently used in fashion eyewear to be worn in the early evening, when the sunlight is softer. Orange provides depth of vision and color saturation and is recommended for situations that call for strong contrasts or feature reduced visibility. Orange lenses are used in outdoor activities such as running and horseback riding, on days when lighting conditions are poor, and in sports like tennis and golf. They are not suited to bright, sunny days, and they tend to alter colors, so they are not suited for driving. Orange lenses are perfect for vintage frames and are available in Divel’s TENDENZE line of the TREND collection.
- GRAY: gray is another classic, like brown, and is the most popular color in eyewear because it ensures excellent protection against sunlight and reduces reflection and glare, making it essential for anyone with light-colored eyes. It also doesn’t alter the perception of color. Gray lenses are ideal for driving because they enable you to identify stoplight colors clearly. They are perfect in the mountains or on the beach, where sunlight is the most intense. DIVEL’s gray lenses are available in the SOLID versions of our TENDENZE collection and range from light gray to dark gray; in the POLARIZED lenses of the TENDENZE collection, both solid and gradient versions; and in the QUICK COLOR stock lenses with 1.50 index and NoUV 400 protection.
- GREEN: green lenses are recommended for driving because they relax the eyes and adapt to variable lighting conditions. They are lighter and provide less protection than gray lenses, but they are better suited to use on a cloudy day. They are frequently used when boating or at the beach, in winter or on days when the sun is less bright. DIVEL’s green lenses are available in the SOLID versions of our TENDENZE collection; in the POLARIZED lenses of the TENDENZE collection, both solid and gradient versions; and in the QUICK COLOR stock lenses with 1.50 index and NoUV 400 protection. For those who love pastel hues, there is also a vintage version in the TREND collection of the TENDENZE line.
- PURPLE: this unusual color is used frequently in field sports because it neutralizes greens, which helps to relax the eyes. In the world of fashion, purple is the trend of 2021, so DIVEL’s purple lenses may be found in a POLARIZED version in the SPEEDY TENDENZE collection and in our fantastic fashion line GLITTER, which features lenses with an amazing sparkle effect.
- BLUE: blue lenses serve to reduce white light. Because they reduce glare, they are recommended for all activities that call for reduced light. On cloudy days with a lot of glare, blue lenses are perfect for relaxing the eyes. They are also ideal for outdoor sports. DIVEL’s blue lenses are available in classic SOLID or POLARIZED versions, in a vintage version in our TENDENZE line, and in a matte version in our SPEEDY collection.
- YELLOW: yellow lenses offer very little protection, so they are recommended on cloudy days because they increase contrast and enhance definition. For this reason, they are used in activities that require good perception of the objects around you. Yellow also blocks blues, which is why lenses that protect against blue light have a slightly yellow coloration. Yellow lenses are available in our TREND collection of the TENDENZE line.
- PINK: pink lenses enhance clarity in the perception of space. They are frequently used on cloudy days in sports such as skiing or for beach volleyball. DIVEL’s pink lenses may be found in our GLITTER collection or in the TREND collection of our TENDENZE line.
Important: Never confuse lens color with any mirroring effect. Mirroring is a coating applied to the outer surface of the lens for aesthetic purposes. What matters is the base color of the lens, which is the color you see on the inner side of lens.
In addition to lens color, intensity must also be taken into account, as this determines its category of protection, which ranges from cat. 0 to cat. 4. For information on categories, click here.